Dual Enrollment

Valwood partners with two of our local colleges to offer Valwood seniors the opportunity to dual enroll in college courses taught on our campus. Managed and funded through the Georgia Department of Education, Dual Enrollment allows students to earn credit for college core courses while also satisfying Valwood’s graduation credit requirements.

About Dual Enrollement

Dual Enrollment courses are FREE.

Dual Enrollment courses do NOT factor into the Valwood GPA.

Dual Enrollment courses DO factor into HOPE and are awarded the same quality points (+.5) as AP and IB courses in the HOPE GPA calculation.

Valwood offers specific courses on our campus, but students may also choose to take other Dual Enrollment courses independently. It is important that you seek prior approval for any courses that you want to take independently if you hope to have them meet our graduation requirements, otherwise they will simply be elective courses.

The following Dual Enrollment courses will be offered on Valwood’s campus in 2018-2019, if the college’s minimum enrollment target (typically 12) is met:

Valdosta State University Wiregrass Technical College
ENGL 1101*- Advanced Composition (fall) MATH 1111^- College Algebra (fall)
ENGL 1102*- British Literature (spring) MATH 1113^- Precalculus (spring)
POLS 1101 – American Government (fall) SOC 1101 – Sociology, elective
ECON 1500 – Microeconomics (spring)
GEOL 1110 – Our Hazardous Environment (fall)
HIST 2111/2112 – US History (fall/spring)

* ENGL 1101 and ENGL 1102 are paired courses, with successful completion of ENGL 1101 being a prerequisite for ENGL 1102.
^ MATH 1111 and MATH 1113 are paired courses, with successful completion of MATH 1111 being a prerequisite for MATH 1113.

Admission Requirements

Dual Enrollment is exactly that – enrollment in both Valwood and the college. Students must apply to, be accepted by and then enroll at Valdosta State and/or Wiregrass.

Valdosta State University Wiregrass Technical College
GPA 3.0 No Minimum GPA required
and ACT Requirements Composite – 20 Reading – 17
English – 17 English – 16
Math – 17 Math – 19
or SAT after 3/2016 Composite – 1050 Degree: (Math, Sociology)
Reading – 24 Reading – 25; Math – 24
Mathematics – 22 Diploma: (Tech)
Reading – 24; Math – 22
or ACCUPLACER Reading – 63 Reading – 64
WritePlacer – 4 Sentence Skills – 70
Elementary Algebra – 67 Elementary Algebra – 57

Click here for more detailed Wiregrass score information.

Students should take BOTH the SAT and the ACT at least twice by the end of the 11th grade year, preferably between January and June, so that scores are available for both Dual Enrollment and the college admission process in fall of the senior year.

PSAT scores cannot be used for admission decision.
Students may apply for Dual Enrollment if they have no SAT or ACT scores and plan to take those tests in June. Enrollment in the courses may be denied if the June scores do not meet the requirement.

VSU offers “institution only” SAT, ACT and ACCUPLACER tests, the scores from which can only be used for admission to VSU. Test dates may be scheduled throughout the summer by contacting VSU’s Dual Credit Honors Academy at 253-4522.

Wiregrass will test students who do not have the required ACT or SAT scores using the ACCUPLACER. Those test dates are coordinated between the Upper School office and WGTC admissions.

Application and Enrollment


Provides students with an enrollment packet that includes the WGTC paper application and the Dual Enrollment Student Participation Agreement on the first day the class meets. This packet must be returned to the instructor by the stated deadline.

Valdosta State

  1. Students must bring to Valwood or scan/email to jguilliams@valwood.org.
    1. a copy of his/her driver’s license, birth certificate or passport for “Verification of Lawful Presence”
    2. a Dual Enrollment “Student Participation Agreement” signed by student and parent
  2. Complete Dual Enrollment application for Georgia State Finance Commission funding.

***A new Student Participation Agreement and Dual Enrollment online application
must be completed each semester of dual enrollment.***

  1. Complete the online application for VSU Dual Credit Honors Academy.

For more information on dual enrollment at Valdosta State University, you can visit the VSU Dual Credit Honors Academy.

Valwood will provide the high school transcript and test scores to both VSU and Wiregrass for admission, as well as the Proof of Lawful Presence and immunization records for enrollment.

You will be assigned to a Valwood course until the MOWR enrollment process is complete. Once you are offered admission by the college, the Dual Enrollment course will be added to your Valwood schedule.

Dual Enrollment students do NOT have to complete the first-year freshman application for Valdosta State if they intend to enroll at VSU as a full-time freshman after graduating from Valwood. Students simply need to request to have their enrollment status changed to Full-Time and complete any housing or other freshman enrollment steps, as needed.

Grades and Transferring Credit

Per the requirements of Georgia’s Dual Enrollment program, Valwood records the course name, grade and credit earned in all Dual Enrollment courses on the Valwood transcript.

Both Valdosta State and Wiregrass utilize the standard collegiate grading scale, including +/- as appropriate.

Grade Scale
Numeric Grade Transcript Grade
90-100 A
80-89 B
70-79 C
60-69 D
0-59 F

Passing Grades and Earning Credit

Students must earn a 60 in order to pass a VSU or WGTC dual enrollment course and earn credit for both the college and Valwood. Students must earn a 70 or higher in Wiregrass courses in order for the credit to be transferable to another institution.

Transfering Credit

To have Dual Enrollment course credit transferred to another university, you must request and pay for your transcript to be sent directly to the college by either Valdosta State or Wiregrass, as appropriate. Click the links below for the request forms:

Valdosta State University Electronic Transcript Request Form
Wiregrass Technical College Transcript Request Form

See for Yourself

We invite you to explore Valwood through our website, but the best way to learn more about our school’s mission and approach is to visit us. We hold admissions coffee-and-tour sessions monthly where you will learn about our curriculum and extracurricular programs, and you will also be able to see first-hand our beautifully designed, state-of-the-art facilities.

Schedule a Tour